When you think of Valentine's Day you probably have visions of cupid aiming his arrow, romantic dinners, bouquets of roses and candy hearts that say "I love you." But apart from all the hoopla and at the very center of it's message, February 14th is about showing someone you love them.
And since God IS LOVE, why not use the month of February to take extra time letting others know how much HE loves them?
Although there are countless numbers of ways to do this, I have listed five to help get the ideas flowing:
- Make scripture "love notes" to pass out. Leave them for your waiter along with your tip, hand them to the cashier as you go through your favorite fast food place, leave on a co-worker's desk, pass to a stranger, etc.
- Pay it forward. Do something nice for a stranger without expecting anything in return, only that they "pay it forward" and do something nice for someone else. Leave an encouraging note or scripture with your act of kindness.
- Invite someone to lunch for the purpose of exhorting and encouraging them (think of someone who has had a bad week).
- Send out a mass email offering to pray for any needs or requests for those who respond.
- Play "Secret Santa" and give God the credit. Bless someone with a gift and leave an anonymous note that says, "Jesus loves you or God's thoughts of you today are too many to count."
Do you have any creative outreach ideas you'd like to share?
"I give you a new commandment: that you should love one another. Just as I have loved you, so you too should love one another," (John 13:34).